Fetch java thread dump on Windows Server operating systems
This document describes how to fetch the PhenixID Authentication Services java thread dump on Windows server operating systems.
- PhenixID Authentication Services installed.
- All actions below must be carried out on the server
Install Azul OpenJDK
- Download Azul Open JDK from https://cdn.azul.com/zulu/bin/zulu22.214.171.124-ca-jdk8.0.252-win_x64.zip
- Unzip in any folder (outside PhenixID Authentication Services root folder), for example c:\
Fetch PhenixID Authentication Services process ID
- Right-click an empty area on the task bar and select Task Manager.
- Select the Processes tab.
- Check Show processes from all users at the bottom of Task Manager.
- Select View > Select columns... from the menu bar.
- Check PID (Process Identifier).
- Click the OK button.
- Click on the Image Name column to resort the processes by name.
- Locate the process named "phenixidservice". (There might be multiple processes with that name. The process with the higher memory is the relevant one)
- Note of the number in the PID column. (In the above example, the PID value is 3360).
Create thread dump file
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator
- Run the command <openjdkdir>/bin/jstack -l <REPLACE_WITH_PROCESS_ID_FETCHED_IN_PREVIOUS STEP> > threamdump.txt
This example will create the thread dump file treaddump.txt in the c:\ folder.
C:\>zulu-openjdk\zulu126.96.36.199-ca-jdk8.0.252-win_x64\bin\jstack.exe -l 3360 > threaddump.txt